Sunday, March 1, 2009

want

I want to need to love to want you. All of you. All 5 of you that share this house, this family life, this space that is ours to share. I want you to understand. I want you to listen when I speak. I want you to be reasonable creatures. I want you to stop wanting sometimes. Because sometimes your wants seem endless. And other times your wants seem frivolous or pointless or senseless or wasteful or ridiculous and then I catch myself and remember the saying that I wrote out on a piece of paper in big block letters and posted to the refrigerator door: WE ALL WANT DIFFERENT THINGS. Or does it say WE ALL LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS? Want, like, they're kind of the same anyway. But I have to walk the talk I talk so damn much to my kids. I want them to realize that there is no accounting for taste or like or want. Each of us having our own. I remember my own mom of nine children used to say the same thing only good Catholic girl that she was she said it in Latin. What was it? Degustibus non es putantum. Or something like that. basically it meant, there is no accounting for taste. We all want different things. And as I want them to allow it in each other, I too have to allow it in all of them. Like what you like. Want what you want. State it clearly. And it just might be satisfied. Want to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment