Friday, April 16, 2010

sleep

I haven't had sleep in days. 90 minutes here and there...that barely counts. I kind of feel like I could shake the person who invented the phrase "sleeps like a baby." sometimes I hold other people's babies and those babies just become asleep. POOF! Asleep. No marching up and down the stairs. No nursing while an angry baby digs a hole in my upper arm. No pleading with Jesus for the baby to just become asleep. These other babies just enter that state and stay there. It seems like magic to me.

Sometimes I wonder if my son will ever take after his father and become a champion sleeper. Corey's party trick in college (and beyond) was his ability to fall asleep on anybody's couch, no matter how rowdy the party or gathering. Corey can sleep for 14 hours in a row if you let him. He sleeps through thunder and alarm clocks and...crying babies. I hate him a little for this.

Miles sleeps through nothing. Except sometimes car rides. But today, I am too tired to take him on one of those car rides to put him out. I fear I will run over a bicyclist or drive through a red light.

It's been 9 months since I've had sleep. To look at it that way, think about how long that really is, makes me feel humble. I know I'll sleep again someday because Miles will eventually move out of the house, right? But man, I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment